Alexander Smith Academy
Alexander-Smith Academy is meant for students with unique learning and scheduling needs. ASA tailors the curriculum to each student through blended learning (technology + teacher guidance) and very small class sizes. Students have great control over how their education unfolds, and ASA works very well for those that need a high level of individualized instruction.
|School Type||Independent||Grades Served||9-12|
|Date Founded||1968||Grade 10||14|
|Student / Teacher Ratio||5.8||Grade 12||28|
|Head of School||J. David Arnold|
|Admissions Director||Pam Rameau|
|Academic Tracks||On-Track, Honors, AP||Sports Programs|
|AP or IB Courses||4||Sports League||N/A|
|First Bell||7:55 am|
|Last Bell||2:40 pm|
|Grade 12 Enrollment||28||AP / IB Participation||N/A|
|National Merit Semifinalists||0|
|SAT Middle 50%||N/A|
|ACT Middle 50%||N/A|
|Prime Entry Points||9||Tuition 9-12||$29,500|
No event information is available at this time.
Alexander Smith Academy in Detail
Founded in 1968, Alexander-Smith Academy was acquired and reincorporated by J. David Arnold in 1973 as a private, for-profit company. The school gained full accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1976 and from the Texas Education Agency in 1984. Alexander-Smith Academy (ASA) stresses small class sizes and individualized attention as its unique selling points.
Alexander-Smith Academy is a non-sectarian school. The school is culturally and ethnically diverse and accepts qualified students regardless of race, color, religion, or national origin.
ASA is located near the intersection of Richmond Avenue and the Sam Houston Tollway. It is located in a multi-story office building which includes a library. Adjacent properties are also commercial buildings. The school is easily accessible via both the Sam Houston and Westpark Tollways.
The admissions process at ASA is straightforward and requires applicants to submit current transcripts, report cards, and a non-refundable $300 application fee.
- Submit an Alexander-Smith Academy International Application with fee ($500.00)
- Submit translated and current immunization records
- Submit all prior translated grades, transcripts, and standardized test scores
- Submit financial records/bank account records showing proof of tuition funds
- Schedule an in-person interview or a video/audio Skype interview
General Academic has more than 16 years of experience helping thousands of students prepare for the ISEE. Inquire about private tutoring or register for ISEE prep courses starting December 21st at our Rice Village Study Lounge.
The school features very small classes, generally between five and seven students. Overall enrollment in grades 9-12 is limited to just 70 students. In spite of its small size, ASA does offer On-Track, Honors, and Advanced Placement classes. The ASA school day is primarily Monday through Thursday; Friday is reserved for enrichment tutorials, group workshops, projects, and extracurricular activities.
Students are required to take 24 credits to graduate. This curriculum is laid out as follows:
- Ninth Grade: English (Pre-AP), World Geography, Algebra I (Honors), Physical Science, Spanish I, Computer, PE
- Tenth Grade: English II (Pre-AP), World History, Geometry (Honors), Biology (Honors), Spanish II, Art
- Eleventh Grade: English III (AP), U.S. History (AP), Algebra II (Honors), Chemistry (Honors), Spanish III (Honors)
- Twelfth Grade: English IV (AP), Government (AP) / Economics (Honors), Pre-Calculus (Honors) or Calculus (Honors), Physics (Honors) or Biology II (Honors), Psychology
- Electives: Marine Biology, Forensic Science, Psychology, Sociology, Speech, Computer, Web Design, Business, Yearbook, and Art I, II, and III
ASA is a school designed for “students who have distinct educational needs.” The school states that it sets very defined goals but allows exceptional latitude for reaching those goals. However, the school does not advertise specific accommodations for students with learning differences or other special needs.
ASA offers instruction in Spanish through level III.
ASA offers three art classes: Art I, II, and III.
Alexander-Smith Academy offers a computer course. No information is available at this time concerning the specifics of on-campus computer facilities or the school’s technology policy.
Because the school week consists of just four days (Monday – Thursday), students are encouraged to participate in extracurricular activities on Friday. The school sponsors several extracurriculars, including Student Council, the Volunteer Service Club, and a literary magazine. It also hosts a National Honor Society chapter called Alpha Sigma Alpha.
No information concerning ASA’s athletic programs is available at this time.
No information concerning parental involvement at ASA is available at this time.